2020 has brought with it the worldwide pandemic and a new way of living. As restrictions are slowly lifted and schools reopened, its important to stay up to date with how to stay safe.
COVID-19 is a virus that typically presents with a fever and a dry cough, although it may present with other symptoms too. It is spread by droplets and close contact. About 80% of those infected will only have mild symptoms whilst the remainder may be more severe.
What you can do:
- Continue social distancing. Stay 1.5 meters from others, avoid unnecessary gatherings, and work from home if possible.
- Wash your hands regularly with a solution containing 70% alcohol content or soap and water. Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your elbow. No handshakes, hugs, elbow taps or high fives. Wear a mask when out in public.
- Get your flu shot. We are coming into flu season and it’s important to remain as healthy as possible this year.
- Look out for each other. Remember that the elderly and financially disadvantaged people are particularly at risk and the rate of unemployment has risen. We need to work together. Check on your neighbours and friends and family, and don’t forget to buy coffee from your local cafes they need you.
- If you are unwell with cold or flu-like symptoms, call your GP clinic and tell them in advance or if you are severely unwell call 000.
There is an overload of information on social media so make sure you follow reputable sources and stay #informed.
Stay safe and keep well from the Cereal for Coffee team.
Dr Juliet Hennessy-Smith
COVID information line 1800 020 080
World Health Organisation
Centers for Disease Control
QLD Health guidelines
Founded in 2015, Cereal for Coffee has successfully fed 1600 hungry disadvantaged school kids per week. In some cases, this is the only meal they get. These families are among the hardest hit by the COVID crisis due to loss of income and unemployment rates.
These kids need us more now than ever.
Schools have reopened in QLD and we are struggling to get the support we need to continue running our much-needed Breakfast Clubs. Times are tough and everyone has been affected, but any donation you can spare, no matter how small, will make a great difference to the learning, development and lives of these kids.
Stay tuned on how you can help, and for the changing face of our Cereal for Coffee event this year.